Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cooking Creativley

July was a blur this year. We found out at the end of June that we would need to move by the end of our lease (Jul 31) so we found ourselves frantically searching for a new place, packing, moving, and everything else that comes with moving... Now we are in our new place. The boxes are being unpacked and we are starting to get settled. The kitchen is unpacked (for the most part) and I can resume cooking again soon...

The only problem? No air conditioning. I have made spaghetti since moving in, but it heated our house to an uncomfortable heat. So I have realized that I need to be a little more creative in my dinners for the rest of the hot weather... Its a challenge to come up meals that do not require stove or oven... but I have been brainstorming and I believe I have a few ideas.

1. Crock pot is the obvious choice. I am not very practiced at slow cooking (I am told it is easy... how hard is it to turn on you ask? It might be better to skip that question...)

2. Microwave is the second most obvious choice. Again, I am not skilled at cooking with a microwave beyond heating up leftovers... and I don't think my husband will go for a month of Easy Mac...

3. Grill. My favorite option as my husband likes to do the cooking on the grill. I am more than okay with that.

4. Electric Griddle. Eggs, grilled cheese... pancakes... anything else I can cook on this?

5. I have a rice cooker that also steams veggies! What a brilliant idea I have just had!

6. Salads are cool and yummy. Hopefully I get enough in my Bountiful Basket this week to work something out...

7. Smoothies are great for cooling off on a hot summer day/evening. All it takes is a blender.

I could use any ideas or suggestions or recipes anyone has. I am trying to stay positive, but lets face it, I'm spoiled and I miss my AC (even if it was a swamp cooler before... yep... spoiled...).  More to come on these adventures as new discoveries are made!

2 comments:

  1. We really like sandwiches. There are lots of creative things you can do with them. Also, veggie burgers. You buy them in the freezer section, and they're microwaveable. We think they taste just as good as beef with all the toppings. Along the same lines, quesadillas are another simple option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are all awesome ideas! Thanks! I will have to try those veggie burgers too. They sound yummy!

      Delete