Saturday, August 4, 2012

Rice Cooker: Swedish Meatballs & Rice

My dear friend gave us a rice cooker for our wedding (love her!). It comes with a steaming tray and serving ladle. Up until now, I have used it to cook... rice. and we have steamed broccoli in it once or twice... But after a little bit of "research" I found there is a lot more you can do with this seemingly humble appliance.


Here it is, my first (of many) no-heat meal. I must admit, this "no-heat" thing is quite an exciting challenge for me. It is stretching me and my creativity to new heights. It is rather exciting. Tonight was a total shot in the dark, but I gave it a try and it didn't turn out too bad... not amazing, but not bad...
Swedish Meatballs & Rice:
White rice went into the main cooker part. I added the required water and started it up. When there was about 10 minutes left on the rice time I added some frozen Swedish meat balls (we picked up a bag while we were at IKEA) to the steaming tray.

The sauce was made up of cream of mushroom soup, some dried chopped onions, and a little water to thin it a bit. We added a few fresh herbs as a garnish (we gave rosemary a shot, and it was pretty good...)

Not the most amazing meal I've ever made, but it was a good first try. More (hopefully better) recipes to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment