Sunday, April 25, 2010

Seeing Green!

{I know... its the end of April... and the St. Patty's day Craze is long since past. but the green party was so much fun for me that I can't let it go without a little attention... So here goes! The best kept secrets of my green day! and pictures to share!}

{My day started off fine enough. Excited about throwing a hit party, and putting a few recipes together for the shindig. However, somehow a leprechaun snuck into my little home to cause chaos in my kitchen... It all started with homemade bread that went awry during the process...}



Not to be deterred, I gave one loaf to my mother... (pay back for those hot dog buns...) It was rather tasty if I do say so myself. Still the party turned out well. We ate delicious food and spent the evening laughing with friends as good as gold! Thanks to all who helped and joined in! Now, without further ado, the secret ingredients to my "green" party.


*This post it brought to you by the ingredient: green food coloring. None of this would be possible without you! Thank You*






{Tortellini and Alfredo sauce{a favorite green dish is pasta. Easy and easily "greened".}

{ingredients}
1 pkg Tortellini {I got one at Costco for the party}
2 bottles of Alfredo sauce {I had a bottle of Ragu and one Bertolli and combined them}
green food coloring

{directions}
1. Add food coloring to pasta water, bring to a boil, add pasta.
2. Boil until al dente and drain. {During the cooking period the pasta soaks in some of the green dye in the water and will come out a beautiful green.}
3.warm the Alfredo and add a few spices to taste
4. Add a couple drops of {my favorite St. Patrick's day ingredient} the green food coloring until color desired.
5.Lightly toss together and viola! a delicious little appetizer, side dish, or entree



{Creamy Pesto Pasta Salad}
{you can't really tell in this picture... but the noodles turned out to be a really neat army green color... almost like I planned it (or bought it to be that color) to turn out like that...}

{sorry all... I don't remember where I got this recipe... but it honestly wasn't a favorite of mine and I can't find it anyway. So you'll have to live with a picture for now... I'll see if I can find a better one.}

{Taste the Rainbow Platter!} {my favorite part of the night! I admit, I feel pretty smart for thinking this one up!}

{ingredients}
Red: Strawberries, watermelon, raspberries {we used strawberries}
Orange: Mango, oranges, {we used the most delicious mango...}
Yellow: pineapple, banana
Green: kiwi, green grapes, {we used kiwi because they work really well on fruit pizzas and we were using grapes for purple}
Blue: blueberries {forgot to get them, so our rainbow is missing the blue...}
Indigo: {good luck!}
Violet: purple grapes, black berries

{directions}
1. Cut fruit and arrange in a rainbow pattern on tray and serve! {pretty simple...}

{Fruit Pizzas}{we made these upon special request of my home teacher. We thought they would be an excellent extension of the fruit tray as the guests could choose what fruit they want on their pizzas. It was a hit!}
{ingredients}
sugar cookie dough {we just used the pre-made, pre-cut dough you can buy. We were going for simple at that point...}
8 oz cream cheese- softened
8 oz whipped topping- thawed {we didn't measure... just until its the consistency you like it. We didn't use the whole 8 oz...}

{directions}
1. Bake cookie dough according to the directions.
2. Mix cream cheese and whipped topping together until smooth. {to turn it green, just add the secret ingredient of the day!}
2. Spread some of the mixture on a cookie, add whatever fruit you like, consume, and repeat.


{Guacamole}
{I got this recipe from a young women's leader while I was still a Laurel. I use it all the time! P.S. I double the recipe because it always goes faster than I think it will!}
{ingredients}
1 large avocado- cut in half, scooped and keep the pit {good tip*if you put the pit in the middle of the guacamole (as seen in picture above) it keeps it from browning to quickly}
1 small spoonful of mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, or sour cream {I usually use sour cream because I am not a fan of Miracle Whip, but it depends on your taste}
1 tsp Lemon juice
1 spoonful of salsa {depending on the salsa used, you may need more, just add to taste}
Garlic salt to taste {from my experience, you don't need too much...}

{really, all the measurements are based on taste. find what you like best. Start small and go from there.}

{directions}
1. smash avocado with fork; add lemon juice and mix.
2. Add mayo and salsa and mix.
3. Sprinkle with garlic salt to reach the flavor you like.

{can add grated cheese and/or diced tomatoes to garnish.}


the after party... fun, fun... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment