Monday, March 8, 2010

DIY Shepherd's pie

{Tonight my adorable husband decided to take dinner matters into his own hands. He knows I have a lot of tests this week and there is a lot of stress at my end to accomplish everything. So he told me that he would make dinner tonight. It always makes me a little nervous as he claims he is a "creative chef" meaning that he doesn't measure and anything he finds in the cupboards or the fridge is free game. But it usually comes out alright and I am so busy this week... Thus I have taken this much needed break to let you all into a night here at home...

After looking through the kitchen to see what was available to him, he poked his head into the living room where I was studying and told me that he was going to make shepherd's pie. I told him that sounded just fine. He banged around the kitchen for a while then called me in for dinner...

I admit my idea of "Shepherd's pie" was along these lines...

{Green Bean Casserole} {A classic favorite growing up in our house... and super easy to make}

{ingredients}
1 lb. hamburger
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can French cut green beans- drained
mashed potatoes {you can mix up the potato flakes if you want.}
grated cheese

{directions}
1. Brown hamburger and drain.
2. In a casserole dish, combine the cooked hamburger, soup, and green beans. Spread mashed potatoes on top covering the whole casserole.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Sprinkle some grated cheese on top and return to the oven until the cheese is melted.


{this was not however the recipe my husband used. I include it and his secrets below...who knew it could get even easier!}

{Hubby's Shepherd's Pie}

{ingredients}
1 lb. hamburger
1 can French cut green beans
1 can corn
grated cheese
mashed potatoes

{directions}
1. brown hamburger
2. make up potatoes from the flakes
3. open cans of veggies and pull the bag of cheese out of the fridge.
4. call in your wife for dinner and have her put it together and zap it in the microwave to warm the veggies and melt the cheese.



{when I say DIY I mean it literally. He explained that he wasn't sure how much to put into it and didn't want it to be too hamburger-y. I began to laugh. He smiled at my next question which was (of course) "Can I take a picture and can I post it on the blog?" He smiled and gave his consent. So whether or not you are into the whole "complete construction" of the meal, you now have two ideas on how to go about this wonderfully easy (and now even easier) meal.}

{Yes, its a little out-there, but its the thought that really counts and I am so grateful that my husband would think about my well being enough to perform a little act of service in my behalf. Thanks sweetheart for all you do for me.}

3 comments:

  1. What creative cooking! You are lucky to have such a great husband

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this tonight and it was delicious! I made a couple additions, but my family loved it! Thanks for the recipe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so creative and clever of your husband!!

    ReplyDelete