Friday, March 12, 2010

Favorite Freezer Tip: Ground Beef

Favorite Freezer Tip #1

Occasionally I will highlight some of my favorite things that are in my freezer. These will be things that are very handy to have around for cooking.

Ready for FFT #1?
Cooked hamburger. Watch for hamburger on sale or get the 5 lb. beef rolls and brown the whole thing at once. Drain it and divide it between quart size freezer bags. It saves TONS of time and makes it easier to "whip" up a recipe quickly. Some of the recipes I like to use it in are shepherd's pie, hearty casserole, chili burger supper, tacos, pizza puffs, spaghetti, or Beef Barley Noodle Soup.

Note: I usually add an extra bag when I'm dividing it up. For instance if it is 5 lb. of hamburger, I divide it up between 6 bags. A lot of recipes just need a little meat in them, but don't really need a whole pound.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a BIG fan of pre-cooking hamburger. It makes things so easy to whip something up. We bought a 1/4 beef recently, though, and the hamburger was already frozen. :-(

    ReplyDelete