Friday, June 11, 2010

Southwest Egg Rolls




This is one of my favorite new recipes. I could eat the avocado dip for breakfast, lunch and dinner. (maybe with a chip or two) I couldn't find the pictures I took the first time I made these so my son encouraged me to make them again because he was sure I needed pictures. This is also one of his favorite recipes. These are not really an eggroll, but you roll them up like one, and you bake them instead of deep frying. I understand that Chilis serves a version of these for an appetizer.

1 pkg. flour tortillas (the ones that aren't cooked)
Cook the tortillas in a skillet, just brown on each side. Don't use oil. Set aside.

4 chicken breasts cooked or 1 rotisserie chicken
1-2 T oil
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 c. frozen corn
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 pkg. baby spinach
1-2 T. diced, canned jalapeno peppers
1-2 T. chopped minced parsley
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
dash cayenne pepper
2-3 c. shredded Mexican cheese

Shred the cooked chicken into bite size pieces. Add oil to skillet. Saute red pepper, green onions and spinach just until spinach cooks down a little. Add corn, black beans, jalapenos, parsley and seasonings. Stir until mixed. (Don't cook it) Add cheese, stir briefly, and remove from heat. Add about 1/4 c. of filling per tortilla.

Fold ends in first then roll up tightly. This is how I folded mine






Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes. If you use a stone they will be really crispy, but a cookie sheet works just fine.



Serve with Avocado-Ranch Dipping Sauce (recipe below)

Avocado-Ranch Dipping Sauce

1-2 avocados, smashed
1/2-1 c. mayonnaise, light works fine
1/2-1 c. sour cream, light works fine
1-4 T. buttermilk
1 T. vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. dried dill weed
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. black pepper

Mix altogether.


No comments:

Post a Comment