Thursday, November 17, 2011

Cinnamon Poached Pears w/ Carmel Sauce

I LOVE anything that has to do with pears. They are my fruit of choice in almost every scenario, certainly as my go-to for a healthy snack. When I see a recipe that includes a pear, I put it onto my "gotta try that" list. I got the idea for this recipe from the Real Simple magazine. I didn't follow the recipe exactly... so for the original recipe you'll have to go here. I made some of it up, and I didn't make my own caramel (cheating, I know) I could not get it to work. But it was absolutely divine all the same!


{ingredients}
8 firm Anjou, Barlett, or Bosc pears- stems attached (for pretty display)
2 cinnamon sticks
1 two inch piece fresh ginger- peeled and sliced
2 c. sugar
8 c. water
your favorite caramel sauce
2 pints vanilla ice cream
cinnamon to sprinkle for display (optional)

{directions}

  1. Peel the pears. Using a melon baller, scoop out the core of each pear, starting from the bottom (leave the stem end intact).
  2. In a large pot, combine the cinnamon sticks, ginger, 2 cups of the sugar, and 8 cups water. Add the pears and bring to a boil, stirring gently to dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently until the pears just begin to soften, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool in the cooking liquid (the pears will continue to cook as they cool).- {I let it cool for about 20 minutes... they were still warm when I served them, but it made for a delicious contrast to the ice cream we served it with.}
  3. Serve the pears with the ice cream, drizzled with the caramel.
**Quick Tip**
these can be made up to 2 days in advance; refrigerate, covered. Bring the pears to room temp before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment