Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween: Deviled eyeballs

This year was the first annual Witch's Tea Party. We had a "best dressed" witch contest and we voted on the best witch's hat. Everyone was also asked to bring a Halloween treat to compete in one of three categories. Cutest, Creepiest, and Tastiest. It was fun to see what everyone brought and they were all tasty. While there are plenty of things that I am going to tweak for next year's event, it was a lot of fun to have a break from busy life to just enjoy some girl time.

My party contribution came as inspiration from a magazine in my mom's pile of Halloween recipe ideas... I just can't remember which one. The recipe was originally for deviled eggs, but I took the idea and ran with it a little. I also found a delicious deviled egg recipe that I thought I'd try... So here it goes. My own little twist...

sorry... not the best of pictures... but the best my camera can do...

 Deviled Eyeballs.
{ingredients} I doubled this recipe for the yolk stuffing...

6  eggs
1-2 tsp gel food coloring {the original recipe called for black, which I used for our annual Halloween dinner, but for the Tea Party I used red to create the "eyeball" look.}
4 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp mustard 
¼ cup mashed cocktail shrimp (rinse and drain very well before mashing)
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced fine {I used parsley flakes and they worked fine}
1/2 tsp lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste
Sliced olives for garnish

{directions}
1. place eggs in one layer in a pot and cover with water (barely cover them) add food coloring and bring to a rolling boil. Once the water reaches a rolling boil, take the pot off the heat and set aside (covered) for 15 minutes. {This is how you make the perfect hard boiled eggs.}

2. After 15 minutes use a slotted spoon to fish out each egg (they are still hot) and tap each egg a few times with the handle of a wooden spoon to crack the shell. When all are cracked, place in a bowl and cover with the colored cooking water. Place in the refrigerator and let cool for at least 2 hours. 

3. When you are ready to assemble, peel the eggs carefully and cut in half lengthwise. Pop out the yolks and mix it with the rest of the ingredients. Add the shrimp last and do not mash further. Fill the empty egg white shells with the mixture and garnish with a sliced black olive.

Serve chilled or store covered in refrigerator for up to one day before serving. Yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment