Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cream of Vegetable Soup


{ingredients}
4 c. potatoes-cubed
2 c. carrots-diced {I ended up just slicing mine fairly thin... it works just the same}
2 c. celery {I don't really like cooked celery. I opted out of this one...}
1/2 onion -diced
1 1/2 c. broccoli {I really like broccoli in soup so I added enough to be about 2 c. and could have used a little more. Its really up to you and your preferences!}
2 tsp. salt
4 c. water
9 chicken bouillon cubes {yes really... 9...}

1/2 c. margarine
1/2 c. flour

3 1/2 c. milk
2 T. dry mustard {I didn't know where to find this... and didn't know if I wanted to, so I opted out of this one as well.}
3 c. grated cheese {3 c. seems like a lot. It really does taste really good, but if you wanted a little less cheese I'm sure it wouldn't hurt!}
salt & pepper to taste

{directions}
1. Cook (boil) potatoes until just tender, remove and set aside.
2. Put carrots, onion, salt, water, broccoli, and bouillon cubes in a pot. Simmer until vegetables are tender. Add potatoes.
3. Mix together melted margarine and flour. {mix in the flour a little bit at a time and whisk so there is not lumping... then you won't have lumpy soup...} Add to pot and mix until thickened.
4. Add milk, dry mustard, and pepper. {when you pour in milk, make sure you do so slowly and that your burner is not on too hot, you don't want to scald the milk as you put it in...}
5. Add cheese and serve when its melted.

{This recipe makes a good amount... it took about 1 hr when all was said and done...}
{This recipe is really good served with corn bread and honey butter... }

{this recipe was taught to me by a favorite Young Women leader, Sis. W. while I was a laurel. We cooked it up and put it into little Tupperware dishes. We then doorbell ditched it with some rolls to people around the ward who could use a nice meal. It was a blast and I still remember it. We had so many compliments and "thank you's" the next Sunday...}

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! We need pictures of these wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete