Saturday, January 2, 2010

Chicken Spaghetti

Don't be too shocked that I am finally posting. It was time to try out my Christmas present from my son, a new cookbook, "The Pioneer Woman Cooks". If you haven't visited her web site, it is a must. This cookbook is fun because it has step by step pictures and instructions. This recipe is similar to one that I have in my recipe file, except that this one actually has some taste. The three teenage boys I fed, ate more than one helping.

Chicken Spaghetti

1 cut up chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken from Costco, but you could use any cooked chicken)
1 pound thin spaghetti, broken into 2 inch pieces
4 oz. jar diced pimientos, drained (I didn't use these)
1 small onion
1/4 c. finely diced green pepper
2 cans cream of mushroom soup (I used cream of chicken because that is what was closest)
2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 tsp. seasoned salt (I used Lawry's)
freshly ground black pepper
1/8-1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper - to taste
2 c. chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350. Cover chicken with water and simmer until chicken is cooked. Remove from water and set aside to cool. Save 2 cups of the chicken broth for later. Cook spaghetti al dente. Drain the spaghetti. Remove chicken from bones or if you used boneless chicken, cut it into bite sized pieces. Finely dice the onion and green pepper. Place the cooked spaghetti into a large bowl. Add the cream of mushroom soup. Add two cups of the cheddar cheese. Next add the onion, green pepper and pimiento. Add the seasoned salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. (I went light on the cayenne pepper - just a sprinkle - and wish I had tried more)
Finally, add the chicken and broth. Stir together well and check for seasonings. Pour into a large baking pan, and top with the remaining cheddar cheese. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until bubbly.

I actually added the remaining cheddar cheese about 5 minutes before I took it out of the oven. I just wanted it melty and not hard.

I'm not much of a green pepper eater, but I like the flavor it adds. I like mine diced really small. I have a friend that cuts hers really big so that it can be picked out by anyone that doesn't want it. Peppers freeze really well. I take the pepper I don't use and cut into julienne strips. Then I put it in a small ziploc bag in the freezer. I have some green and red in my freezer right now. I will sometimes buy them when they are on sale and freeze them right away so that I have them when I need them.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome Glenna!!! This sounds good. Can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really sounds good. I'm glad to have something new.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete