Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Chicken Roll Ups

{This has been my favorite meal for a very long time. Some years ago mom taught me how to make them and I have since been the official 'chicken roll-up cook'. I have made it so many times I could do it in my sleep (you can too... really!) and it never fails to please and impress those who taste it! This recipe has evolved over the years as my mom and I have perfected and simplified it. So Enjoy!}


{ingredients}
2-3 chicken breasts -boneless, skinless {my mom occasionally just has chicken tenders in the freezer... we use those too, just cook as much as you think you might need... we did about ten little ones this last time}
1 pkg (8oz) chive and onion cream cheese {originally the recipe called for regular cream cheese, onion, and chives... but this takes out a couple of steps.)
2 cans cresent roll dough {pillsbury has been the best in the past, but the last few times I've used them they are crumbly when they come out of the can. Really any other brand works just as well.}
1-2 Tbsp. butter or margrine
bread crumbs

{directions}
1. boil chicken {make sure chicken is not pink in the middle.}
2. when chicken is done, cut it into little bite sized pieces. {sometimes I just pull it apart with my fingers and rip it into the size and shape I want. Just be careful not to burn your fingers!}
3. Pre-heat oven to 375.
4. mix cream cheese and chicken pieces together in a bowl. {utensil of choice? my hands, but if you don't like to feel it that much I also like to use my large rubber spatula}
5. open cans of dough and spread out the triangles. {sometimes they require a little reconstruction if they got stuck in the can}
6. divide the chicken mixture onto each of the triangles. {if there seems plenty of mixture on each and you still have some in your bowl, don't worry about it. I consequently never do because someone always comes in to sneak a little bite of the mixture...}
7. fold the dough over the mixture so that there is no mixture showing. Start by folding the two short corners into the middle and then roll the long corner up toward the main part of the roll-up. Make sure to pinch the seams completely shut so the chicken doesn't escape during cooking.
8. Bake them in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. {what you see here is my mom's cooking stone. These work wonders for the roll-ups, but a greased cookie sheet works just as well. I've tried to fit them all in at the same time though and its not as good. just do two batches.}

{serve with mashed potatoes and chicken gravy... makes a delicious meal!}

No comments:

Post a Comment