Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Drinks: Mulled Cider Spritzers

I saw these on a segment of Studio 5 and new I needed to try them for a party. It was a hit. The smell is also an added bonus! :) For the segment and all the variations of the recipes, you can check it out here. I did alter my drinks (slightly) and wanted to make a few suggestions on some of the ingredient locations) so I shall give you my details.


{ingredients}
2 c. apple cider
2 c. Cran, Blue Blackberry juice (there were lots of options of cranberry juices at the store. I chose to go with the same one she used. But I would love to try the Cran-pomegranate... I think it will taste lovely)
2 Cinnamon Sticks, crushed (break it in half and smash it with the side of your knife... hard)
2 slices fresh orange peel slices, diced (small)
1 tsp. Whole Allspice
4-5 whole cloves
1/4 tsp. crystallized ginger pieces (I found some in the bulk section at the whole foods store. I got a couple of pieces for pennies and diced them up myself. It beats buying the expensive bottle.)
1/4 tsp. dried lemon peel (I bought a lemon, prepared to leave the peel out overnight, but found a bottle of it. I don't know if it makes much of a difference, but it was more difficult to track down.)
Ginger Ale (or Club Soda. I did use Ginger Ale)

{directions}
Place spices, ginger, and lemon peel into a muslin tea bag (you can purchase reusable muslin tea bags at a whole foods store).

In a medium saucepan, heat apple cider, berry juice, and tea bag to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Refrigerate until ready to use. (The juice comes in the perfect amount to double the recipe. It goes a rather long way though...)

To serve, place crushed ice into glasses. Add a splash of ginger ale. Pour cooled cider over the top. Lightly stir and garnish.

Makes 4 servings (though I would say, People like to sip cider so they can taste all the flavor, so I noticed that it makes more than that. Another tip is to use smaller glasses, it will last a little longer.)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jessica! Just wanted to let you know I accepted the liebster award you gave me & have answered all your questions :) Thanks again, that was fun!! You can read it here http://trentalie.blogspot.com/2012/11/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete